Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pruning is a Blessing


For so long, I viewed pruning in my life as a punishment. As a sign I wasn't measuring up and I needed to be disciplined in order to bear fruit in my life. But I was missing a key principle from this verse in John. The verse says God prunes the branches that DO bear fruit. Why? So they can be even more fruitful.

When we experience pruning in our lives, it isn't because we aren't doing anything right or aren't having any impact for the Kingdom. It is the opposite. It is because we are bearing good fruit and God wants to use us to make an even greater impact. He prunes us to continue to mold us into people more closely connected with Him and people who shine His light even brighter in the world.

I think I resist the pruning when I see it as a punishment. I feel ashamed and discouraged. I associate pruning with failure, and that deflates me since my heart so desperately wants to please God and live according to His will. But this verse gives me great hope. God disciplines those He loves, those He wants to use. He prunes those who hearts are dedicated to Him and open to His working in their lives.

The next time you feel God pruning something in your life, rejoice! Praise Him for His good work in You and His desire to bear even more fruit in your life. Give Him thanks and ask Him to continue what He has started in you. 

Pruning isn't punishment. Pruning is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment